Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Next BIG Thing.....


It's the name of our panel at New York Comic Con - The Next Big Thing: Indie Authors Creating Brave New Worlds and I'm so excited to be a part of it!  Next Friday, October 9th, at 1:30pm in Room 1B03, I will be sitting next to some of the most exciting new voices in comic books, graphic novels and science fiction/fantasy and the stories they tell are anything but run of the mill. 

April Adams is the author of the GwenSEVEN sci-fi/fantasy saga and having read the 1st two books in the series, I can tell you that her work is complex and demanding in a way that I find refreshing.  From the first chapter, I was invested in every character I met and the worlds April creates to tell her stories challenge almost every trope I can think of.  But, I guess you really shouldn't expect anything less from a former Army Paratrooper and fantasy football playing mom turned sci-fi/fantasy writer.  Yeah...you can read all about her here.

With Greg Garay, I have to admit that I'm a big fan.  So much so that when I was looking for an illustrator for Ellis and The Magic Mirror, I didn't consider anyone else.  I begged and cojoled until I got him.  But Greg is a multi-dimensional creator in his own right, having written, illustrated and produced three installments of his truly unique Jack B: Ride the Air comic book series. Greg is also an accomplished graphic and web designer.  Check out his amazing work here.

Neil Gibson's Twisted Dark was the 1st graphic novel I ever read, which is a blessing and a curse because it set the bar so high for the medium that I'm often hesitant to pick up anything that he hasn't written.  Luckily, his company, TPub Comics, never leaves you without something good to read. To say Twisted Dark is an excellent graphic novel series is almost like saying the sky on a clear day is pleasing.  It's a pitiful statement compared to the reality.  Arresting, disturbing, mind-rattling, and frightfully true are just some of the words I would use to describe the amazing work he creates.  Don't believe me? Find out for yourself here.

Award-winning artist and storyteller, Nilah Magruder is like the gift that keeps on giving. Comics, Illustrations, Animation, Writing...the list of her abilities seems to go on and on.  With a courageous mix of traditional and independent projects, her work and acclaim crosses many genres and modes of story telling, but her commitment to perfecting her craft has endured throughout her career.  Earlier this year, her groundbreaking M.F.K. web comic series won the inaugral Dwayne McDuffie Diversity Award at the Long Beach Comics Expo.  To see why, click here.

If you're going to be at NYCC next Friday, come in and join the discussion.  It's a great time to be an independent artist, so come join us as we redefine the literary landscape to bring you the best in storytelling.  

1 comment:

  1. Are you looking for a loan to finance your project at the rate of 2% in return or Home loan or car loan then Mr Pedro loan offer will be good for you since they offered international loan to individual or company looking for way to expand their business or personal loan because Mr pedro and his working company helped me finance my business at the rate of 2% in return in which I will be closing my loan next year on this date, I really hope to order another loan from them because they are genuine loan company with a very good interest.Contact Mr Pedro loan offer on E-Mail:   pedroloanss@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete